The 14 English Plus lessons a week consist of 6 English classes and 8 Spanish (second language) classes
Goals for the year :
- Comprehend and evaluate complex texts across a wide range of types
- Become more proficient in new areas through research and study;
- Read selected works of literature independently, proficiently and fluently and be prerared to present a report and analyze content, plot, setting and characters;
- Build the students’ vocabulary and its usage on a more complex level;
- Strive for excellence in spelling, comprehension and communication skills;
- Practice verbal skills through debate, argumentation and self-expression;
- Continue to consolidate and develop advanced use of English grammar and structure;
- Perfect the students’ writing skills through written assignments
- Fully and thoroughly prepare the students for the next academic year.
- Vocabulary expansion ( 2 periods a week)
These two lessons focus on developing vocabulary skills and are mainly based on the book Wordly Wise 8. Each week, students become familiar with 15 new words that they use in different contexts. They research (using the internet and/or dictionaries) the meaning of the new words and/or write sentences or stories with them to deepen their understanding.
Reading and Writing (2 periods a week)
During these lessons, students are required to produce work based on two books per semester, one in class and one of their own choice at home. Classwork is based on the book they read in class, incorporating loud reading, reading for comprehension, writing compositions, class discussions on comprehension skills (chapters, characters, making predictions and connections, etc.) Students work individually, in pairs and groups as well.
At the end of term, students do a presentation on the book they had read at home. For this they receive the criteria of how to build up a presentation of a book beforehand.
Skills required: oratory - students need to form an opinion regularly and writing skills: during all four classes, they develop these skills through various writing exercises.